Just finished to watch Hugo Ortega's video presenting HTC Shift and I must admit I like the HTC idea of bringing to us an UMPC (Ultra-mobile computer) which has 2 processors and 2 operating systems working independently on board.
Is the UMPC form factor market ready to take-off soon ?
Is the double O/S option chosen by HTC the winning one ?
A recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- The UMD worldwide forecast is for more than 8 million units in 2011.
- 2008-2010 will be key years for the development of a market inflection point of anytime/anywhere wireless connectivity that is necessary for widespread adoption of the UMD paradigm.
- Size: 19 x 13.5 x 3cm
0.9 kg0.791 kg
- 7 inches display
- Resolution : 800×480 – 1024×600
- Operating Systems : Windows Mobile 6 & Windows Vista Business
- CPU's : Qualcomm 400 MHz for WM6 & Dual Core 800 MHz Intel A110 for Vista
- 7 days battery capacity running on WM6 only. 3 hours on Windows Vista
- Ram Memory : 1 GB
- Hard Drive : 40 GB
- Communication : WiFi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0,
- Phone data : Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE – Tri-Band UMTS/HSPDA
- 1.3 MB built-in camera
- 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 VGA port
- 1 Finger print reader
- 1 SD Card reader
- Slide out Tilt display
- Price tag : 1200 euros (?)
- Availability : Q3 2007
The very interesting concept is the possibility to switch from one environment (e.g WM6) to the second one (Vista Business) and back in just the press of a button. Input can be done either using the QWERTY keyboard or the hand-witting recognition system.
Shift on HTC websiteTags: 2007, 2008, 24, 802.11, arc, ATT, availability, blog, camera, capacity, card, card reader, ces, communication, computer, connectivity, development, forecast, gsm, htc, HTC shift, ia, im, IT World, keyboard, King, lan, memory, MIT, mobile, Mobile Communications, nomadcom.net, nyt, pda, phone, press, reader, resolution, search, shift, space, Telecommunications, ultra-mobile, UMPC, usb, video, vista, web, website, wifi, windows, windows mobile 6, windows vista, wireless, WM6, world, worldwide, wp, www